Isaac's World

Isaac is Deaf but hears with cochlear implants. He received his first cochlear implant on September 25th, 2006. He received his second cochlear implant on September 10, 2008. This is his journey with sound as told by mommy.

Friday, October 27, 2006

We're making progress...

It's been a while since my last post. Both Isaac and I got the cold that's been going around, plus I am pregnant and have been really tired lately. I go for my first ultrasound on November 9th. Isaac doesn't know it yet, but he will be a big brother before next summer! Ian and I are really excited. Now maybe Isaac won't be so spoiled seeing as he will have to share his time. Ha ha ha.....I think he will always be spoiled. He will steal the spotlight I'm sure because he is Mr. Personality.

We are beginning to see some progress with the implant. I must admit, my expectations were that he would turn to every sound he heard, but it just isn't so. Even though the "experts" said that it would take a while, I just knew Isaac was brilliant and he would react and start babbling right away. I guess every parent has high hopes for their child. I know this is going to be a journey, but we are beginning to see signs every day that Isaac hears. First of all, he does react when the dogs bark. We have 2 boxers, a male named Sakuraba and a female named Layla. Sakuraba barks at EVERYTHING...from the wind to every person that walks down the sidewalk in our development. Isaac seemed startled the first time it happened, but now he just looks at the dogs and laughs while he makes the sign for "funny".

Isaac also was startled yesterday when I did a load of laundry and let the lid to the washer fall instead of placing it down gently. It made a loud bang and Isaac's eyes got big and he looked around. I did it again and showed him what made the sound. Another cool thing that Isaac does is he will vocalize on command. He makes the sound mmmm mom mmmmm mom. Whenever he wants something I put my hand on my throat and say the word when I sign it and Isaac will put his hand to his throat and make a sound. It isn't babbling yet, but he knows that if he wants something he has to vocalize which is a good start.

Isaac also blew his first bubble yesterday! We have been trying to get him to blow for some time now, which he does now. He makes the b or p sound at the beginning of blowing which is great. My mom and dad come over on Thursday nights so they can learn new signs from Michele ( early intervention teacher of the Deaf). We got the bubbles out and let Isaac blow. Every time he would blow, we would say yaaay and raise our hands above our heads. Isaac finally blew a bubble and we made a huge deal out of it, so then every time his mouth would get close to the bubble wand, he would raise his hands above his head. He is such a little character! We just love him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mom to Toes said...

Isaac is such a doll!!

I could have written the second paragraph of your post. I have been feeling the same way with Erin.

Isaac is such an unsually smart little guy. He is going to learn so quickly!

I love that he is starting to try to verbalize. I bet in no time you will have a chatterbox on your hands.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home