Isaac's World

Isaac is Deaf but hears with cochlear implants. He received his first cochlear implant on September 25th, 2006. He received his second cochlear implant on September 10, 2008. This is his journey with sound as told by mommy.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Introduction

Hello all,
I am a hearing mother of an 18 month old deaf son named Isaac. Isaac passed his newborn hearing screening but my husband and I noticed that he was not reacting to any noise. I would sing to him in his crib in the morning and he wouldn't awaken unless I touched him. So one day, I started singing louder and louder until I was screaming.....there was no response from him. I told the pediatrician my concerns so she held an electronic device over Isaac's head to see if he would react to these silly electronic sounds. He blinked his eyes a few times, so she said he was ok. She told me that newborns blink as a reaction to sound. I still had my doubts.

We finally took him to get an ABR test when he was 4 months old. We had to have him re-tested because he was awake for the first test. Finally when he was 6 months old we learned that Isaac was profoundly deaf. We applied for medical assistance to get hearing aids for him and finally got approved when he was about a year old.

Hearing aids did not provide any benefit for him, so we looked into a cochlear implant. After many tests and visits to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) we learned that Isaac was a candidate for a Cochlear Implant. We decided to implant him with the Cochlear Corporation's Nucleus Freedom model. We chose the color blue. Isaac will be implanted on September 25th, 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home