Isaac's World

Isaac is Deaf but hears with cochlear implants. He received his first cochlear implant on September 25th, 2006. He received his second cochlear implant on September 10, 2008. This is his journey with sound as told by mommy.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Bathtime!




These pictures were just too cute not to post. Isaac does love his baths. This is one time I am glad we sign with him because we need it to communicate. I really support implanted kids learning sign as well as speak. I know that not everyone feels the same way, and that some parents are encouraged to not sign with their kids. I never really understood this philosophy because it seems to strip the children of their ability to communicate at all until they can do so verbally. Also, although the implant is water resistant, it is not waterproof. We have no trouble communicating with Isaac in the bath tub or at the beach. If he was strictly verbal, I don't know what we'd do. In these pictures I could tell Isaac to "sit down" in the tub, "smile" for the camera and "not to splash me". He is too cute.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for you sign language appreciation. I am a sign language interpeter and I struggle with parents who think that children with implants no longer need sign language.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Karen Putz said...

What a cutie! We've also found sign to be a nice way to communicate during baths and in the pool. It's been especially helpful across a crowded, noisy room too. :)

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun pictures! I have wondered how you all are doing :-) Love that you guys also sign, I think it's important too. Take care!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home